In this research line we experiment with “circling” as a technology of love. Circling is a technique of self-exploration and relating that creates transparency and intimacy by exploring and exposing your inner experience with radical honesty. It combines 1) carefully noticing the constituents of your experience (e.g., sensations, thoughts, feelings), 2) taking ownership of them, and 3) exposing/disclosing them to others, without expecting any particular response.
Bare-bone, the circling technique carries some risks: boundaries can be crossed without consent, there is little protection against re-traumatization, oppressive societal structures can be unconsciously perpetuated (e.g., ignorance about how difference in privilege influence access to self-leadership), celebration of narcissism and self-centredness, lack of care, etc.
To compensate for these shortcomings, we use a framework of “love”, defined as “the will to extend oneself to support oneself and others in growing in self-recognition and full, selfless expression” (definition inspired by Peck, the road less traveled). It is an attempt to expand the locus of awareness, extending it from the individual self to inclusion of all group members.
Our research questions include:
- How does this extended circling impact our sense of self and our experience of the body?
- Does an extended circling space allow all participants to fully express themselves? How do differences in privilege influence accessibility of self-leadership?
- How to mediate the risks of “performing” authenticity and self-censoring jargon?
Everyone who is willing to extend him/herself to support self and others in growing in self-insight and full self-expression.
August 15 (2022), 2pm till August 27 (2022), 2pm
Shared costs of the living space, electricity, water, and food (i.e., 15 euro for a day, 15 euro for a night, and 20 euro for food). The working space becomes a sleeping dorm. We can provide you with a mattress and a pillow. Please bring sheets and blankets.
Money should not be a reason to not come. If it is, please get in touch.
Ideally you commit to the full period. Part-time participation is possible depending on the number of full-time commitments.
A potential schedule (open for co-creation):
- 07:00 silent sit (optional)
- 07:30 tea ceremony and waking up the body (optional)
- 08:00 breakfast
- 09:00 open time (circling, working, free,…)
- 12:00 free time
- 12:30 lunch
- 14:00 open time (circling, working, free,…)
- 18:00 food preparation/free time
- 19:00 dinner
- 21:00 open time (circling, working, free,…)
- 22:30 meditation, gratitude, singing
- 23:00 silence till breakfast
Want to join?
Send us an email introducing yourself, your motivation, and how you would like to participate (full time, part-time, what days,…).